[meteorite-list] New evidence for microbial fossils in Martian meteorite

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 18:36:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,
?
I did some looking around about evidence of microbial fossils in Martian meteorites and I found a few articles about magnetite and how science are researching how magnetite can be formed biologically or inorganically on Earth, resulting in magnetite crystals. This evidences has been a leading factor in the debate about ALH84001 and if life did exist on Mars. Here are a couple abstracts I pulled off the Internet down below..........
?
Shawn Alan
eBayshop
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&MyEbay=&gbh=1&guest=1
?
?
Origins of magnetite nanocrystals in Martian meteorite ALH84001?
?
K.L. Thomas-Keprtaa, , , S.J. Clemetta, , , D.S. McKayb, E.K. Gibsonb and S.J. Wentwortha

aESCG at NASA/Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
bKR, ARES, NASA/Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Received 20 July 2008;?
accepted 18 May 2009.?
Associate editor: Christian Koeberl.?
Available online 16 June 2009.

Abstract
The Martian meteorite ALH84001 preserves evidence of interaction with aqueous fluids while on Mars in the form of microscopic carbonate disks. These carbonate disks are believed to have precipitated 3.9?Ga ago at beginning of the Noachian epoch on Mars during which both the oldest extant Martian surfaces were formed, and perhaps the earliest global oceans. Intimately associated within and throughout these carbonate disks are nanocrystal magnetites (Fe3O4) with unusual chemical and physical properties, whose origins have become the source of considerable debate. One group of hypotheses argues that these magnetites are the product of partial thermal decomposition of the host carbonate. Alternatively, the origins of magnetite and carbonate may be unrelated; that is, from the perspective of the carbonate the magnetite is allochthonous. For example, the magnetites might have already been present in the aqueous fluids from which the carbonates were believed
 to have been deposited. We have sought to resolve between these hypotheses through the detailed characterization of the compositional and structural relationships of the carbonate disks and associated magnetites with the orthopyroxene matrix in which they are embedded. Extensive use of focused ion beam milling techniques has been utilized for sample preparation. We then compared our observations with those from experimental thermal decomposition studies of sideritic carbonates under a range of plausible geological heating scenarios. We conclude that the vast majority of the nanocrystal magnetites present in the carbonate disks could not have formed by any of the currently proposed thermal decomposition scenarios. Instead, we find there is considerable evidence in support of an alternative allochthonous origin for the magnetite unrelated to any shock or thermal processing of the carbonates.
?

Title:Magnetite as a prokaryotic biomarker: A review

Authors:Jimenez-Lopez,?Concepcion; Romanek,?Christopher?S.; Bazylinski,?Dennis?A.
?
Publication:Journal of Geophysical Research, Volume 115, Issue 37, CiteID G00G03

Publication Date:04/2010

Origin:AGU
?
Abstract
Over the years, nanometer-sized magnetite (Fe3O4) crystals have been recovered from many modern and ancient environments including sediments and soils and even meteorites. In some cases these crystals have been used as ?magnetofossils? for evidence of the past presence of specific microbes. Magnetite nanocrystals can be formed by a number of different biological and inorganic mechanisms resulting in crystals with different physical and magnetic characteristics. Prokaryotes (bacteria) biomineralize magnetite through two methods that differ mechanistically, including: biologically induced mineralization (BIM) and biologically controlled mineralization (BCM). Magnetite nanocrystals produced by BIM are known to be synthesized by the dissimilatory iron-reducing bacteria, are deposited external to the cell, and generally are physically indistinguishable from magnetite particles formed inorganically. BCM magnetites, in contrast, are synthesized by the
 magnetotactic bacteria and some higher organisms and are precipitated intracellularly as membrane-bounded structures called magnetosomes. These magnetites appear to have unique crystal morphologies and a narrow size range leading to their original use as magnetofossils. Because of the discovery of nanometer-sized crystals of magnetite in the Martian meteorite ALH84001, the use of these criteria for the determination of whether magnetite crystals could constitute a prokaryotic biomarker was questioned. Thus, there is currently great debate over what criteria to use in the determination of whether specific magnetite crystals are biogenic or not. In the last decade, additional criteria have been established (e.g., the Magnetite Assay for Biogenicity), and new tools and technologies have been developed to determine the origin of specific types of magnetite crystals.
?
?
?
?