[meteorite-list] Large Fireball observed on 6MAY2010 in Argentina

From: Eric Christensen <christenjames_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)

This event was possibly observed from Cerro Pachon in Chile as well, though only as a bright flash (1-2 seconds) illuminating an overcast sky. It was reported as "lightning" by the Gemini Observatory night crew as they left, shortly after 5am local time (corresponding to 6am in Argentina). As far as I know there was no other "lightning" reported during the night, though last night was mostly closed-dome engineering at Gemini.

Cerro Pachon lies approximately 300km WNW from the city of San Juan, Argentina.

So far I've come up empty trying to locate images from any all-sky cameras at any of the observatories around here. The cameras are either not operational or the archives are inaccessible. The clouds would have wiped out any chance of a direct image from Pachon or Tololo, and probably also from La Silla or Las Campanas, which are ~100km to the north. It was reportedly photometric at Paranal, ~600km to the north of Pachon, but this may be too far away to have captured the event.

Saludos,

Eric J. Christensen
Gemini Observatory