[meteorite-list] ETs (EXTREME TYPES) Already Here!

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 16:59:11 -0400 (EDT)

Dirk and List,

What strikes me as a layman after listening to Kirsh on extremophiles (thank you for the link, Dirk) is that she and her associates in the field of astrobiology, by their studies of the molecular processes in these life forms, are admitting to that life survives extreme environments. These scientists run all over the earth finding biomorphs in salt mines and lakes and the deep, all the while wishing they had samples from other planets and moons, yet they almost studiously avoid the examination of Martian and Lunar meteorites. Is this a condition of funding? Or a turf battle that prevents an exchange between the disciplines?

I'm in the McKay camp up to my eyeballs. Especially after the recent NASA paper on the findings of biomorphs beautifully exposed in Nakhla. not to mention AH840001. I kept waiting through her lecture to hear the word meteorite. Nada.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536