[meteorite-list] New position on hunting BLM lands

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:52:33 -0500

I'm enjoying the information you fine collectors are putting on here as I
learn something new everyday. I thought I'd toss my two cents in there as an
f.y.i.

An acquaintance who has a mining claim on BLM is not able to mine the claim
now that the entire area in California has been practically sealed off and
the local sheriffs and BLM personnel won't allow anyone onto it. There were
first concerns of people dumping their old rehabbing projects from homes
being rehabbed (Imagine that, someone dumping on BLM land) and the dangers
of asbestos. Then, environmental groups, which I generally always support
were questioning the safety of the water table and the native salamanders
and various native plant species. The bottom line is that the BLM decided
with all this going on that the easiest way was to close it down entirely,
no more dumping of possible asbestos materials and no danger to the native
flora and fauna.

My guess is that similar situations will be occurring throughout the West,
if they have not already been put into place or are in the works.

Have a great day!

Brian