[meteorite-list] Help with Kunya-Urgench

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 13:03:36 +0200

Hi Henry and Gary,

in my opinion this specimen is definitely no Kunya-Urgench.

In principle Kunya-Urgench, if fresh, is of a light-grey to witish
appearance.

But Kunya seemed to have to be exposed to humidity on the place of fall,
so that it has more or less very often hefty stainings from rust.

Kunya was a large mass - the second largest stone meteorites in existence.
Scattered around the impact pit were collected hundreds of small and
smallest fragments and a few larger ones.
Some of the hunters, who collected them, are here also on the list.

The small fragmets, usually in the weight range form 1-10 grams, are almost
all very oxidized, but nevertheless some show here and there still some
fresh corners.

The larger ones (like necessary for having such a cut like Henry has)are
often somewhat better preserved.
The clean ones are withish grey mottled with tiny brown and ochre rust
spots, the somewhat more oxidized ones, have larger areas of rust.

But all have still parts of the original fresh matrix preserved.

Here some examples of various degrees of oxidation of Kunya.
http://www.thetricottetcollection.com/met_kunyaurgench.html

http://www.meteoritelabels.com/images/Kunya.jpg

http://www.meteorite-martin.de/images/meteor/kunyaurgench.jpg

Henry's specimen display a fully oxidized matrix, hence it is an old and
weathered chondrite, which certainly doesn't belong to the fall of
Kunya-Urgench.

I'd recommend to return it to the seller.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----