[meteorite-list] New position on hunting BLM lands

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 20:36:26 -0700 (PDT)

The Smithsonian doesn't own all meteorites found on BLM land. The Antiquities law doesn't cover meteorites. The only reason the Old Woman was taken by the Smithsonian is because it exceeded the annual weight limit of 250 pounds for any mineral. The finders should have kept it secret, hacked off 25 pound pieces each for 8 days in a year to reach their combined 500 pound limit and then returned in subsequent years.

The twisting of the old 1906 law to cover meteorites is grasping and would never stand up in federal court. Several politicians are avid rock hounds and would not stand for it. I am glad to live in Nevada instead of a state like Washington where I used to live who seem to have no problem violating personal rights by making such statements on their uniformed website. It seem un-American to me.

Best Regards,

Adam