[meteorite-list] Oriented stone question, Flight Oriented WI Meteorite

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 16:55:51 -0700

Hi Frank and all,
        My upcoming book, ASPECTS OF METEORITE
ORIENTATION has a chapter on "Lipping" ( not all lipping
Is "roll over" - some exquisite photos illustrate both roll over
And other lipping - over 40 photos utilized as illustration of
This point).
        As for the 18.3g specimen mentioned below, I see actual
Build up of fusion crust "lipping" the entire circumfrance of the side
With secondary fusion crust, which I consider to be a decisive
Indication of orientation. HOWEVER, it should be noted that
An individual oriented in a particular manor during PART of
Its entry often is oriented in another manor or is "tumbling"
During other portions of its flight.
        This specimen, in fact, indicates that for at least a brief
Time it was oriented in a different alignment as seen by the
Minor lipping on the right side of the stone in the upper left
Hand photo on the page below:

http://www.meteoritesusa.com/wi-meteorite.html

This can be seen on 3 of the 4 edges (2 more distinctly than the
3rd) of the right side.
        Furthermore, your original question posed that perhaps the
Roll over lip on the edges of the broken side could simply been
Caused by a remelting of the fusion crust while the specimen was
In a tumbling entry. However, I have seen hundreds of stones
With secondary fusion crust on one or more sides that do not have
Said roll over lipping. Since the forces would be disbursed and ever
Changing during the tumbling process this would preclude any
build up of fusion crust on the edges whilst orientation would, indeed,
Have that effect.
        In addition, your questioning orientation because of a lack of flow
lines is strongly countered by many dozens if not hundreds of instances
As illustrated in the photos in my upcoming book. In fact, there appears
To be no one characteristic which is present in ALL oriented meteorites,
But rather a number of factors, any one of which indicates orientation
And may or may not be combined with one or more of the other aspects
And that the degree of manifestation of said aspects varies considerably
>From highly profound to barely detactable.
        My book goes into great detail as to illistrating these degrees of
multiple orientation aspects such as flow lines, lipping, puddling, doming,
regmaglypting, shields, tear drops, bullets, excentrics, etc.
        In conclusion, from my perspective this specimen does, manifest
aspects of orientation expressed in a modest degree from one angle and to a
minimal degree from another angle.
        I hope this has helped.
        Best wishes, Michael
PS: BTW, if ANYONE can tell me how to construct a PDF file, it will greatly
Accelerate the release of my book which is very nearly in a state of
completion now. I would really like to release this work within a few
Weeks rather than a few months.