[meteorite-list] AstroDay Mahalo

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 06:35:43 -1000

Aloha listoids,

After surviving my ninth AstroDay Festival, I thought I'd apprise you all on how our event went yesterday. Although several community events and picture perfect sunny Hawaiian weather conspired to keep many away, we still drew well over 8,000 visitors during the six hour event in the air conditioned comfort of the Big Islands largest enclosed shopping mall.

Over thirty exhibitors, including most of the observatories on Mauna Kea, Hawaiian cultural groups, robotics demos, Starlab planetarium shows, several amateur astronomy clubs and Hula and Hawaiian musical performances were part of the attractions at this year's show.

The Big Kahuna did not bring out the heavy artillery, but did offer a nice assortment of hand specimens of all types for folks to look at and handle. We fielded many questions about meteorites in Hawaii and the recent WI fall. Many thanks to Ted Brattstrom who joined me in the booth all day with his microscope and "poor man's xpol viewer". Also, a holler to Gregory Wilson, who came over from the Kona side to say hi, and to drive Ted and I green with envy with a few of his exquisite collection specimens, including a gorgeously thumbprinted 110 lb Campo.

Here is a picture of the Big Kahuna Meteorites booth, with (l-r) Ted, Gary, Kaipo (w/ donut) and my mom.

http://bigkahuna-meteorites.com/Images/AD10-BKM.jpg

Gary Fujihara
Big Kahuna Meteorites (IMCA#1693)
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, Hawai'i 96720