[meteorite-list] Silicated Iron vs. Winonaite

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:37:57 +1100

G'day List,

I have a question I'm hoping someone may be able to answer as I don't know
if I have this right. My (basic) understanding is that the silicate parts of
a silicated iron are actually Winonaite material. When this silicate
material is found without iron, then they are classified as a Winonaite but
with/in an iron then they become a silicated iron.

Is this right or am I way off here? There seem to be an increasing amount of
silicated irons being classified as a Winonaite. So when is a silicated iron
not a Winonaite and vice-versa?

Thanks,

Jeff