[meteorite-list] AD:Almahata Sitta 2008 TC3 for sale on eBay

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard and List,

That's is a great point that you brought up about the automated Catalina Sky Survey 1.5 m telescope at Mount Lemmon, Tucson, Arizona, and how Catalina is not an automated survey. I wonder why they say that about her? Is it the software that is used for Catalina or the way she scans the sky making it automated? Or is it all done manually these days and one by one scientist scan the sky asteroids?
?
Here is an article from 2009 that uses automated when referring to Catalina Sky Survey....
?

The four-meter-diameter asteroid, called 2008 TC3, was initially sighted by the automated Catalina Sky Survey telescope at Mount Lemmon, Ariz., on Oct. 6. Numerous observatories, alerted to the invader, then imaged the object. Computations correctly predicted impact would occur 19 hours after discovery in the Nubian Desert of northern Sudan.
?
http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/03/25/asteroid.monitored.outer.space.ground.impact

?
Shawn Alan

[meteorite-list] AD:Almahata Sitta 2008 TC3 for sale on eBay
Richard Kowalski kowalski at lpl.arizona.edu
Sun Mar 28 19:17:33 EDT 2010

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, Shawn Alan <photophlow at yahoo.com> wrote:

> discovered by the automated Catalina Sky Survey 1.5 m
> telescope at Mount Lemmon, Tucson, Arizona,

Hi Shawn and all,

I'd just like to point out that Catalina is NOT an automated survey.

There is a human validating each and every suspect.

Unfortunately the Meteoritical Society continues to leave this uncorrected in
listing for Almahata Sitta. Petr Jenniskens was informed of this mistake
immediately when he started saying this after the recovery of the meteorites
several months after TC3 was discovered. For some reason this misrepresentation
continues to be used in papers in which he is listed as a co-author.

Sorry if this seems to be picking nits, but our observers work very hard and we
feel that a primary reason we are so productive is because we are NOT automated.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey
Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 20:23:11 EDT 2010
Hello List,
I guess it would help if I put the correct link in the post, here it is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260576516106&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Shawn Alan
[meteorite-list] AD:Almahata Sitta 2008 TC3 for sale on eBay
Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 18:43:14 EDT 2010