[meteorite-list] Remembering Park Forest (Images)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2010 10:37:16 UT

Steve Witt kindly reminds us of the 7th anniversary of the P.F. fall:

"It's hard to believe it's been seven years. If you weren't there...you
missed a great time. I uploaded 46 images of the 1000 or so that I took."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevewitt/4414362965/in/set-72157623574476890

Gary's comment: "Okay Steve, rub it in why dontcha"

OK, rubbing it in a little more ;-)

I proudly own five small Park Forest specimens showing some of
the characteristical features of the Park Forest (L5) chondrite:

- brecciation
- shock veining
- impact melt pockets
- slightly oval chondrules
- abundant metal and troilite
- dual (light and dark) lithology
- shock darkening of the silicates

.. and topping it off: These 5 specimens were a generous gift from Steve!
..of course, there is also a thin section that I purchased from "jnmczurich"

Best wishes,

Bernd