[meteorite-list] Cleaning a Gao

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 01:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't use acid, or a strong alkaline for that matter, on a meteorite except when doing an etch. Here is how I would handle your Gao. Remember, There are a dozen ways to clean a specimen...this is just my way. You'll get more.

1. Wash meteorite in extremely hot de-mineralized water and dishwater soap and use nylon brush to remove dust and dirt.

2. Rinse with hot de-mineralized water. Pat dry.

3. Using a hand held rotary tool, such as a Dremel fitted with a soft STAINLESS STEEL brush, using high speed, gently remove concretions, debris and other terrestrial matter. You won't damage the crust, or secondary, or surface patination if your watching what your doing. Be sure and wear eye protection.

3. Wash metorite off with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Really dunk it. It's a water displacing treatment.

4. Blow dry with a heat gun. Get it hot. That will evaporate any residual water.

5. Repair cracks if needed to stabilize the specimen with Paleo-Bond. Use very little accelerant spray as it can leave a white residue.

6. Mop off residue and excess Paleo-Bond with 100% Acetone on a Q tip.

7. If stony meteorite has a polished face. Hit polished area with a light spray of clear acrylic.

8. Spray rest of meteorite with WD-40. It's an organic water replacement and doesn't leave a lingering odor. It will leave a natural

looking finish.

9. Wipe with a soft cloth like an old t-shirt.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536