[meteorite-list] Question about terrestrial age of 4.4 kyr

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:07:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,

Today has been a busy day about the topic of money and meteorites. I have more of a science question and hope someone could answer my question. I was reading an article tonight about?NWA 869 and it said that the samples yielded a terrestrial age of 4.4 kyr. What does the kyr stand for and is this another way of saying?years? The article goes on to say that the terrestrial age is consistent with the low degree of weathering (W1). I am guessing 4.4 kyr means 4.4 years from the low level of weather, but again, the desert climate is a perfect environment for preserving meteorites.

Shawn Alan