[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 22, 2010

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:05:08 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

I guess I am a realist. I saw my last passion, Treasure Hunting destroyed by a few feeding the pigeons (the press.) At first, the news they reported was exciting. Later the press seemed to focus on the uglier side of the avocation with time realizing better ratings. They seemed to only report on those breaking the law instead of what good was coming from it. They would report people midnight gardening (illegally digging) on heritage sites instead of the amateur treasure hunter who helped somebody locate their lost and treasured wedding ring or a hobbyist helping the police department locate metallic evidence. They seemed to only focus on how valuable other finds were and that the public was being ripped off. A mostly positive hobby was nearly destroyed in a single decade. City, state and federal parks became off limits almost over night. Laws were twisted, become unclear and most hung up their metal detectors for good.

Others joined clubs, came up with a universal code of ethics and chose professional spokespeople to deal with the press when not avoiding it. It took decades to partially restore the reputation of this activity as a family type pursuit. Still, there are very few areas that are not off-limits like the heydays of the 70s when they were free to roam about. Thier number one unspoken but clear rule "Do not feed the pigeons, good or bad."

Here is a hypothetical scenario:

Somebody digs a hole looking for meteorites that are far more valuable than gold or even diamonds according to what they heard on TV and leaves it uncovered. Then some poor unsuspecting victim breaks their ankle in that uncovered hole and and then the word gets out. The press reports it and now this area is off-limits permanently to others. Then all meteorite hunters will be judged as disrespectful filthy treasure hunters who could care less about other people's rights even though the vast majority are good law abiding citizens. The motivation for digging was due to this unsavory person believing the monetary reward was worth the risks. It only takes one person who has little regard for other people to cause a lot of damage.

This has already happened at Meteor Crater but was cattle breaking their legs, not a human victim.

I see this hobby going the same way. The only reason I am engaging in this thread is that I really care.

Best Regards,

Adam