[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 19, 2010...vugs/gasses?

From: ensoramanda at ntlworld.com <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:05:53 +0000

Hi Frank, michael,all,

Nice slice.

Looking at the impact melt there appears to be some sort of vug exposed.

Just made me wonder if any work has ever been done on such vugs in meteorites.

It seems to me that they are likely to contain gasses formed during impact in space...especially in fresh falls. I imagine that collecting such gasses would be problematic as it would be difficult to locate vugs until the meteorite is cut....but surly we could learn something new from such samples.

Early work on martian meteorites did do analysis on gasses that matched the martian atmosphere so?.....

Anyone care to comment, or know any more about this subject.

Cheers,

Graham, UK