[meteorite-list] Ad Ebay sellers must see

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:38:32 -0700

Yeah, I'll have to try some listings on Astro Auctions, Mike.
There's only 3 auctions listed there though, at the moment.

I have to disagree on Astromart, though.
In my opinion, it's the best place on the web to buy and sell astro gear.
Much safer than ebay, as either a buyer or a seller. Not the best market for
meteorites, I must admit. 85,000 members, but they're mainly interested in
scopes and accessories. Still, after a one-time registration fee of $12,
you're able to place up to 35 ads in any 6 months period with no cost. They
do have Terms of Service though, and they don't allow dealers to set up shop
there, without contributing. They don't allow simultaneous listings on other
sites, especially pee-bay. Having a website you sell from is a definite
no-no. But it's all spelled out in the TOS. Quite reasonable for the most
part, in my opinion. And no, Tony Soprano doesn't put the hammer down. There
is a "peer group" through which violations are policed. They debate and vote
on TOS infractions, and their decision is then enforced. If they notice
that you're always selling the same thing... say meteorites... they might
decide you're a dealer and ask you to buy ad packs. But for guys like me,
who mainly buy, and only occasionally sell anything, it's great.
By the way Mike, the site is now administered by Astromart LLC. Herb bowed
out quite a while back. Couldn't handle the headaches any more, I guess.
For anyone else, I am not affiliated with Astromart in any way, other than
being a happy member/user.
Linton