[meteorite-list] Scale Cubes used by the Smithsonian Institution

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 04:40:10 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry all. Just one more.

Shawn, just because the Smithsonian does it doesn't make it correct.
A scale cube, or scale whatever, is just that. To show the scale of the object. If you don't see the scale's measurement, you have no way on knowing what the scale is. Again. You can assume what it is, but you don't know.

My previous sentences were incomplete. I should not have said the cubes did not have the scale on them. I meant that the scale must be visible in the photograph. Without it, having it in the image is worth almost as much as not having one in the image at all.

My point here is that the object itself is what is important, not the scale, be it a cube or anything else. It is simply there to let the viewer know the scale. You can only assume you know the scale if the marking is not visible. You may be correct, maybe most of the time, but the assumption that every cube is 1cm is wrong and a photo that has a scale cube in it that does not show the scale shows the photographer failed to use the cube properly. To accurately and completely show the scale of the object being photographed with no ambiguity.

Less than an hour before dawn. Crunch time.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography