[meteorite-list] Scale Cubes

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 03:59:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/15/10, Shawn Alan <photophlow at yahoo.com> wrote:

Sorry Shawn.

I vehemently disagree with you. If the scale is not specifically stated in the description, or more importantly in the image itself, you do not know and have absolutely no way to know that the scale cube is 1 cm. You can assume it, but you can't know.

Sterling linked to an image of an "true standard" NASA cube. Unfortunately there is NO scale on this cube either. It is widely known that these cubes are a 1 inch scale, but by your statement, you know that it is 1 cm.

Assumptions can be very dangerous, especially when you accept these assumptions as fact.

If a scale cube does not show the actual scale on it, having it in the photo for purposes of providing scale is practically worthless.

I've made my point so I won't bore everyone with extending this thread any further.

Back to work.

Cheers

Richard