[meteorite-list] Quick-AD: Last SMALL Specimen of very special Martian NWA 5990 & Last New Halfa

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:30:53 +0100

Good afternoon,

today we want to give only a short note on 2 specimens.

First is a sample of the most noteworthy new Martian NWA 5990.
Here again the abstract, outlining its special rank among the Martians:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2010/pdf/1833.pdf

There, because several collectors were somewhat worried not being able to
add this important Martian to their systematics, because originally only
full- and half-slices were available,
we sacrificed a half-slice to make smaller samples for them.
These are all distributed now,
but we have a surplus sample left.

A quarter-gram (0.256g) partslice.

Unfortunately this specimen is already the last opportunity for the private
collector, still to add such a smaller sample of this Martian to his
collection.

Secondly: We forgot to piggyback on Martin Horejsi's fine article about
New Halfa in the November issue of the Meteorite Times.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2009/november/Accretion_Desk.htm

There we would have still a partial endcut left, 33.60g, with some fusion
crust.

Stems from a fragment, somewhat larger than a fist, which we acquired years
ago from the eyewitness Mr.Khalil, who is also mentionned in the Bulletin
entry. (The Catalogue of Meteorites has a little mistake, the fall happened
close to village N?19 and not N?9).
Mr.Khalil and friends were going there from door to door, asking the locals,
whether they may had collected some pieces, but without success,
because then not many dared to leave the house, because all thought that
sound phenomena of the fall would origin from a rocket assault.
The fall area itself is destroyed by agriculture, so that it's highly
unlikely that still finds could be made there.

Would maybe also interesting not only for private collectors,
if one thinks, that from the top-twenty collections of the World none, but
Berlin (8 grams) has this observed fall.

Well, instead to incite a longsome bidding battle on ebay for these two last
specimens, we'd rather say,
just send us an email for pictures and details, if interested.

Have all a fine Sunday!

Stefan Ralew & Martin Altmann

Chladni's Heirs
Munich - Berlin
Fine Meteorites for Science & Collectors

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com