[meteorite-list] L'aigle and other meteorite names... just how do you say it?

From: Philip R. Burns <pib_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:54:47 -0600

At 06:13 PM 3/13/2010, Greg Catterton wrote:
>There are many meteorites with names that may be foreign to many of us.
>I have often wondered just how they are actually pronounced...
>
>L'aigle... just how do you say it?
>http://www.forvo.com/word/l%27aigle#fr

Some years ago I started a page on meteorite pronunciations. The
only ones I did were L'aigle and Orgueil.

http://www.pibburns.com/catastro/metprono.htm

I believe one of our list members from Poland put up a page with
Polish pronunciations, and someone else presented a page with some
other French meteorites.

There are some U.S. meteorites that would benefit from having their
pronunciations presented too: Willamette and Saint Augustine, Benld, etc.

This might be a worthy project for the IMCA to sponsor. An IMCA page
of meteorite pronunciations would be a useful resource.

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
    pib at pibburns.com
    http://www.pibburns.com/