[meteorite-list] "The Art of Collecting Meteorites" last call for "Signed and numbered" (ad)

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:17:44 -0600

The first time Steve Arnold ever visited with me we smoked fine cigars
at my home in Fort Myers, Florida and pondered co-authoring a book
about meteorites. Steve was interested, and still is, in attracting
more people to the hobby of collecting meteorites. The conspiracy
never jelled, but I wrote a book anyway, and somehow it still sells.

Darryl Pitt, an important collaborator in this work, presciently
informed me, "Your book will have legs", meaning that it would sell
well and for some time. It has, with a major sales bump this year
inspired by the TV show, "Meteorite Men". Jolly good show. Thanks,
guys!

I originally set aside 500 copies of the total print run of 1,100 to
be "signed and numbered." The first 20 were gifted to the wonderful
people who "made it happen" like Joel Schiff, Bob Haag, Darryl,
Richard Norton. The next hundred+ went out to all purchasers during
the first year the book was offered for sale. Over the last few years,
I have offered the remainder on eBay, were they often bring more than
the cover price of $21.95, a real bargain for the high quality book I
created with the artistic skill and old-world craftsmanship of Geoff
Notkin.

Living in Costa Rica, I've lost track exactly of how many I have left
to sign and number, so the copy I have on eBay (ending tomorrow) may
be one of the last four, maybe the last three, like in #497 of 500. I
believe I left behind a copy for non-USA buyers that might be #494 or
so. Nonetheless, if anyone on the M-List still hasn't purchased a copy
and thinks my crooked left-handed signature is a "valuable collector's
item", time is running out.

I have one last box of fifty copies that I'll be opening and preparing
for sale next week while I am briefly in Florida. When these are sold,
I'm not sure if I will re-order more, not sure if I want to "climb
that mountain again" and edit and add chapters for a second edition.
Truly, much has happened in the ever-evolving world of meteorites
since 2005 as the cast of characters and body of science has grown
richer. But once climbed, the mountaineer returns to discover a
slippery slope. Steve has reminded me that the First Edition could be
turned into an "e book" and I suppose that's a possibility. Call it
Karma, but Steve and I might again share dreams and cigars next week
while our paths intersect in Florida.

Anyway, here's the link to the copy on eBay ending tomorrow (Sunday).
I note that for the moment, eBay "wizardry" has opted to not display
my cover photo. I wrote them about it. Anyway, see it all here at
www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com

The next-to-last "signed and numbered" copy will go on eBay in late
August, and the final #500 next year. Unsigned "regular" copies will
again be available for delivery beginning next week until they run
out. Order now from the website www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com
.

Here's the signed and numbered copy, either #496 or #497 on eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220569257655&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Best wishes to all. - Kevin

MARSROX at gmail.com