[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:23:10 -0800

Jason,

Though I appreciate you enthusiasm your logic isn't that, well,
realistic for good solid scientific data, especially when it comes to
new falls which will most likely become the centerpiece of meteoritics
in the years to come. It's already BIG news every time there's a new
fall somewhere in the world, and we've learned much more about where
meteorites come from and how the interact with the Earth's atmosphere
and even more about fall dynamics in the last 3 years than the entire
history of meteoritics.

What about news falls? Are we to leave them in the dirt to weather for a
"few hundred years"? Wouldn't it be better to "save" them from the plow
and rain? Or could they just sit there for a few hundred years until
scientists "decide" to go pick them up? Do you still think "not much
will happen" to them? They will weather, they will deteriorate, and if
the meteorite falls in a humid and rainy area they won't last long at
all nor be of much value to science after a few hundred years. Even IF
you were able to find them after that long of a period in that
environment what shape would they be in. Now if they fall in a desert
then that's better, but we can't really call up 1-800-Meteors and order
a fireball to drop in the desert can we? ;) Now that's a novel idea... I
wonder.... Hmmmm

Anyway, I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying you have to at least try to
think of every dynamic possible in this very dynamic world.

I still think you do great in your recovery, collection and recording of
data.

Regards,
Eric

P.S. As a side note:

Everyone should record data on ALL meteorite finds, but alas, I've seen
people simply pick up stones and walk away without taking photos or
recording coordinates of NEW falls. It's a shame, but it happens. At
least if you look at the newest falls over the last 3 years or so,
you'll see that a good majority of meteorite hunters do in fact record
all data possible and only then do they remove the stone.