[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:34:12 -0800

Carl,
Really? Silenced me?
I agreed with him, namely because, yes, it's hard to argue with the
fact that chemical data and a meteorite's preserved geochemical past
has little to do with where a meteorite falls, but he also noted the
following:
"There is considerable bias among some researchers to not use Desert
samples for political reasons and the lack of exact find locations (Nomads
do not use GPS instruments, not that this means much). Some museums are
extremely biased against "dirty desert meteorites" and will not let them in
the door, thus depriving researchers for easy access to samples for study -
a very prominent Federally funded museum comes to mind."

He did go on to note the scientific importance of many homeless desert
meteorites, and, yes, I completely agree with him; not knowing where
NWA 5000 was found really doesn't have an effect on its value to
science. It's still a cool lunar meteorite, etc.
But you're just ignoring the fact that that find information would
potentially lead to more stones being recovered, and would add to our
knowledge of the stone and its history -- a terrestrial history that
is now lost.
Granted, you may say that in the scheme of things, its terrestrial
history is relatively unimportant, because it doesn't tell us anything
about the moon, space, etc, but I would argue that we study these
things to understand their pasts, and their time spent on earth is
part of that history.

Unless you have a good reason for saying that it should be erased, I'd
give this up; no scientist is going to tell you that they prefer a
location-unknown NWA to a documented find of the same type from
elsewhere. We collectors makre that distinction as well; there's a
reason that NWA's sell for pennies per gram, yet the most common stone
from the US (probably Franconia at the moment) still fetches $1/g.
The difference in price is more than tenfold, yet...it's still just an
H5. I could get a CV3 for less than that in Morocco.

Oh - and using Almahatta Sitta as a basis for a new system of pairing
meteorites is an interesting idea. On the one hand, you're advocating
changing our current system on behalf of a single pretty unique
meteorite, which isn't the best of ideas. On the other hand, you keep
using this meteorite as an example of how our current system of
pairing meteorites is somehow inadequate.
But you don't seem to realize that, if we had find information for all
of our meteorites, it would be significantly easier to determine
pairings for falls such as this because we would be able to recognize
the overlapping fields with different types, compare terrestrial age
data, and determine pairings in such a manner.

After all, without find information, we'd have a number of fresh falls
from Sudan at the moment, and we would have no idea which was from
2008 TC3 and which was simply a different fresh H, E-chondrite, or
ureilite fall.

You're blind if you don't recognize this as an adequate solution to
your problem.
You said it yourself, "PAIRINGS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE SCIENCE
UTILIZED TO DETERMINE THEM. WE NOW KNOW THAT PAIRINGS DON'T HAVE TO BE
OF LIKE TYPES. ALMAHATTA SITTA TELLS US THAT THEY CAN BE TOTALLY
DIFFERENT CLASSES AND STILL BE PAIRED SO, ONLY TRUE TESTING CAN
DETERMINE THIS."

Knowing where they were found helps. Durh.

Jason