[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:07:40 -0800

Hi List,

I can't agree more with Rob's points and to expand on #2 and somewhat
obviously...

I do not agree with Carl's remarks, I don't understand how anyone could
basically ask the question "what use is strewnfield data"? Seems rather
inconsiderate of the science.

2a) For new meteorite falls it's important to record the data for proper
mapping of the strewnfield simply to locate other stones. This provides
data for ground mapping of the entire strewnfield and allows the the
prediction of distribution of material in future falls.

This when combined with all the others is perhaps the most important
part of meteorite hunting next to the actual petrography. Without this
data we would have no idea where to search for meteorites, the dynamics
of any given meteorite fall, nor what to look for on future meteorite
falls to predict the location of specimens in any given circumstance.
Combining the petrography of multiple falls (50-100 or more) of the same
type with available strewnfield data you can predict more accurately
what will happen in with future meteorite falls, and more directly when
viewing fireball videos you can make an educated guess as to type and
distribution "before" a meteorite is recovered, especially when you take
into account the dynamics of the fall. Eventually with enough data
collected you could theoretically predict not only the location of the
fall (once an NEO is spotted) but predict it's type based on all the
data gathered from previous falls.

It's an exciting science meteoritics...

Regards,
Eric Wichman