[meteorite-list] Meteors, by C. P. Oliver an original copy pubished in 1925

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:53:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello Mike and List,

Mike, I had made a comment or if you will an observation of The Meteors book by C.P. Oliver, an original copy published in 1925, from Dr. LaPaz personal library/estate that has notations and been signed by Dr LaPaz last night. Here is a link to the book

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11388383_xtf3A#800281414_E7khp

Mike you had said as quoted

"The book has not been signed by LaPaz but someone has just put his name in it. For some?
reason it was and I believe still is a common practice to have a
grad

student or possibly a secretary do this.... I do consider myself somewhat of a "meteorite historian""

But I have to disagree with you and I would have to say the book was signed by Dr LaPaz and the notation marks are by him as well in the book. The ind individual that posted the images knew Dr LaPaz very well and married one of Dr LaPaz daughters, I guess this makes the individual family. This is what he had said,?

Hi
Shawn:

?
??? Dr. LaPaz
 often wrote his name in a book as
soon
as he received it.? That is his writing "LaPaz") on the inside
front?cover of Meteors.? All notations in the book (I think
they
are all in red ink) are his.

From a hitorian perspective I think the collectabilty of this book is great for a couple reasons. The book comes from Dr LaPaz estate, there are notations made by Dr LaPaz, and that Dr LaPaz signed the book. Also not to mention the book is the first edition, printed from 1925. To own or view something of that nature would be great :)

Shawn Alan

[meteorite-list] Meteors, by C. P. Oliver an original copy pubished in 1925
Mike Jensen meteoriteplaya at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:00:35 EST 2010