[meteorite-list] The Perils of Type Collecting - A Guide

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:13:11 -0500

Hi Zelimir and List!

Now that I look closely (on David Weir's site), I see that the CM3
class is tenative and is probably not official nomenclature yet. The
following specimens are listed as tenative CM3 :

Acfer 094, WIS 91600, B-7904,and Paris.

About Tagish Lake and the C2 group (which I overlooked the C2, but
initially had Tagish in the wrong class as C-ung, which I now notice
is C2-ung). So, is there a C3?

Best regards,

MikeG

Revised List -

-----------------------------------
Carbonaceous Chondrites :

CI (Ivuna)
CM1 (Mighei)
CM2 (subdivided into CM2.0 to CM2.6)
CM3
CO3 (Ornans) (subdivided into CO3.03 to CO3.7)
CV (Vigarano) (also CV2 and CV3)
CK (Karoonda) (CK4, CK5, CK6)
CR (Renazzo) (CR1, CR2, CR3)
CB (Bencubbin)
CH
CR ungrouped
C ungrouped
C2 ungrouped (Tagish Lake)
C4 ungrouped

Ordinary Chondrites :

Rumuruti R3 (subdivided into R3.5-6 to R3.9)
R4
R5
R6

LL (subdivided into LL3.0 to LL3.9)
LL4
LL5
LL5/6
LL6
LL6/7
LL7
LL impact melt

LL transitional (L/LL3 to L/LL6)
L (subdivided into L3.0 to L3.9)
L4
L5
L6
L6/7
L7
L impact melt

H/L transitional (H/L3 to H/L6 IMB, H/L3.6 to H/L3-4)
H (subdivided into H3.0 to H3.9)
H4
H5
H6
H7
H impact melt

ungrouped ordinary chondrites

Enstatite Chondrites :

EL (EL3 to EL7)
EL impact melt
EH/L
EH (EH3 to EH7)
EH impact melt
ungrouped enstatite chondrites

K (Kakangari)

Meta-chondrites (M-CV, M-CR, M-H, M-LL)

Primitive Chondrites :

Acapulcoite
Lodranite
Winonaites
ungrouped primitive chondrites

Achondrites :

Howardite (subdivided into fragmental breccia and regolith breccia)
Eucrite (monomict and polymict with each having subclasses)
Diogenite (monomict and polymict)
Olivine Diogenite
Dunite
Ureilite (monomict and polymict)

Martian achondrites :

Shergottite
Pyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
Olivine-phyric basaltic shergottite
Olivine-orthopyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
Pyroxene-peridotitic (Wehrlitic) shergottite
Lherzolitic shergottite
Diabasic shergottite

Nakhlite
Chassignite
Orthopyroxenite (ALH 84001)

Lunar Achondrites :

Feldspathic breccias
Regolith breccia
Fragmental breccia
Impact melt breccia
Granulitic breccia
Mafic-rich
Thorium-rich
KREEP-rich

Mingled Breccia
Mare Basalt

Other Achondrites :

Angrites (Plutonic and Basaltic)
Brachinite
Aubrite
ungrouped achondrites (Ibitira, Pasamonte, etc)

Stony-Irons :

Mesosiderites (1A,1B,2A,2B,2C,3A,3B,4A,4B)
ungrouped mesosiderites

Pallasites (Main Group, Eagle Station group, Pyroxene group)
Pallasite-am (anomalous, PMG-am, PMG-as)
ungrouped pallasites

Iron meteorites :

Note, iron meteorites are a can of worms. I will only focus on the
main chemical groups, and not the various grouplets and sub-types of
each main chemical group. Also note that many of these types include
silicated varities. Listing all of the known sub-types of irons would
require a LONG list resembling a flow-chart.

IAB
IC
IIAB
IIC