[meteorite-list] Science page update / desert varnish on meteorites

From: Paul H. <oxytropidoceras_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:23:03 -0600

Greg wrote:

?I?m wondering if the formation of desert varnish
can vary depending on different biological and
environmental factors. Perhaps in one area a
similar thickness may take a shorter period of
time. 100,000 years is a long time, but I guess
not that long in geological time. This is interesting
in that some meteorites may have been sitting
on earth for a very long time.?

Below are some interesting pages about desert varnish:

Rock Varnish (desert varnish): An Internet Primer for
Rock Art Research by Ronald I. Dorn , Professor of
Geography Arizona State University

http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/VarnishPages/VarnishPrimerIntro.html

Chapter 8 in Geochemical Sediments and Landscapes
http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/VarnishPages/GeochemicalSediments/GeochemicalSediments.html
http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/DornCh08.pdf

Note: the above URL to Chap. 8, has numerous links to
PDF file of papers about rock varnish.

Desert Varnish
http://alliance.la.asu.edu/dorn/DesertVarnishDornFormat.pdf

Varnish Microlamination (VML) Dating

http://www.vmldating.com/

PDF files of various publication about rock varnish can
be downloaded from ?Selected Publications on
Methodology and Application of VML Dating? at:

http://www.vmldating.com/selectedpapers.html

Yours,

Paul H.