[meteorite-list] Science page update / desert varnish on meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:07:00 -0500

Dr. Garvie, Sonny, Petrologists, Greg, All,
This is an amazing feature.
I have a question about this.
All due respect here to all.
According to Dr. Garvie when they showed this picture on the Meteorite Men show. He said he had to over-expose the photo in order to see it as it is nearly an opaque coating.
My question is this.
If you look at the material within the rectangle as shown, near the top you can see two light colored inclusions. These appear to be same sort of mineral as seen within the meteorite itself. Note that these and one other rock are within the area in the rectangle. Supposedly outside of the meteorite itself.
How is that possible if this is merely desert varnish? And after landing affect.
>From the looks of them They cannot be air pockets ( holes or vugs) nor can they be glass. So, what are they and how could they be stuck in the middle of something that took centuries to develop?
Seems to me based on those inclusions, this may not be desert varnish. Although no scale is shown it appears to be very thick.
Again, the question is; how did those grains get there? And why are they in the middle of the varnish? Those grains are a visual history of the rock so how do you explain them? And what are they made of? Because they appear to match what is inside the interior of the meteorite. And if that is the case then maybe it is actually some sort of weird crust like that seen on Tamedaght material. This strange crust has been referred to as the Tamedaght Phenomena and deemed " Ralewite" by Aziz (see link to list in May 2009)

. And itis my understanding that it was proven to be a very strange and odd form of actual extremely thick fusion crust never before acknowledged.
Could this be that?
Again, just a question .
Carl

--