[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 02:45:53 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I don't like the idea of marking in any way a meteorite specimen.

Over the years, I have bought planetary specimens from Jim Strope and I
think Jim has a great way of producing an adequate paper record of a
specimen. Jim scans the specimen and prints a COA with the scanned image,
large enough to unmistakenly identify the specimen. He also adds a brief
description of the specimen (weight, clasification ,etc.).

Scanning works well for flat specimens such as slices but for individuals, a
picture would serve the same purpose.

I remember seeing a piece of software a few years ago that was a database of
geological specimens, meant for collectors. The fields could be customized
for a meteorite collection and images could be incorporated as part of the
recoard for a given specimen. I can't remember if it was a flat file or
relational type database. Has anyone seen this?

-Walter Branch