[meteorite-list] Its Meteor Day :)

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,

Its Meteor Day..... Someone at work told me about this cause he saw it on his calendar at home and he knows I collect meteorites

It's a bird, it's a plane. No, it's Meteor Day! June 30th is a day for looking up - way up. It?s Meteor Day, also known as Meteor Watch Day!

If you?ve ever seen a shooting star, hold onto your hats! How would you like to see an out-of-this-world meteor shower? One of the best-known meteor showers is the Perseid, which has been observed for nearly 2000 years! Each year, viewers in the Northern Hemisphere are privy to a spectacular showing in the nighttime sky. From about the middle of July until mid-August, dozens of meteors dance across the darkened sky. It?s almost like having your very own set of fireworks in your own back yard!

Whether you are looking for a single shooting star or a fantastic meteor shower, you'll need to get away from the bright city lights. To get the best seat in the house, a dark and secluded spot is your best bet for the show. Be sure to bring along the bug spray and comfy clothing. Admission is free!

http://www.examiner.com/x-3514-Holidays-Examiner~y2009m6d27-Celebrate-Meteor-Day-Out-of-this-world-show

SA