[meteorite-list] Record Nevada Find Newspaper Article and Video

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello List,

This srticle was published today in Nevada's newspaper of record. They also publish an online version as well as a video. There are a couple of inadvertant errors. One in my statement about meteor entry speeds..I tried to correct it. The other is in the article, the reporter misunderstood the progress of acceptance by NomCom of MetSoc. The specimen has been submitted, but not accepted, or posted.

The intention here was to create public awareness of the importance of meteorites to our understanding of their role in our future and their exposition of our past from a rank layman's view.

This article follows newspaper publicity regarding the appearance of some NASA moon samples that were shown to the public at the College of Southern Nevada for one week. I had the pleasure of of being asked by the head of the Department of Astrophyiscs to give an impromptu lecture to the 400 members of the public and students who came to see the moon samples and the collection of meteorites I brought for display. This is the first time meteorites, or cosmic matrial has been publicized, or shown to Nevadans.

I am very pleased that monetary values and considerations were left out of the reportage and the lecture I gave. I insisted on it.

http://www.lvrj.com/multimedia/Largest-Meteorite-in-Nevada-Found-96821184.html

http://www.viewnews.com/2010/VIEW-Jun-22-Tue-2010/CentennialHills/index.html

Comments and opinions on line are welcome.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536