[meteorite-list] Your first meteorite thin-sections

From: Peter Scherff <peterscherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:08:35 -0400

Hi,
I started collecting thin sections about 20 years ago. I went to a Gem show
and saw Bob Haag with a large number of thin sections. At that time I tried
to an individual and slice of each meteorite in my collection. Seeing all of
Bob's thin sections got me thinking that perhaps I should collect thin
sections to complement the individuals and slices in my collection.
        I left the gem show and drove directly to a microscope dealer's
showroom. In less than a half hour I left the showroom with a polarizing
stage new base and a fiber optic "light pipe". These accessories allowed me
to turn me reflected light Unitron microscope into a polarizing microscope.
         I then drove back to the gem show. At Bob's table I selected an
Allende CV3 and a Murchison CM2. You can probably guess that I have a thing
for carbonaceous chondrites. Before I left Bob gave me a Ragland L3. From
this start I have added hundreds of thin sections to my collection.

Thanks,

Peter