[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:37:46 -0400

Hi Listees,

To expand the topic a bit, I recall my first bulk batch of uNWA stones.

I bought it from Derik Bower on eBay, but only after vetting him
through Bob King. I was still leary of purchasing from anyone that I
did not know and eBay seemed like a mine field of fakes and ripoffs.
I think I paid about $50 for 1000 grams of heavily-weathered
chondrites covered in caliche. When I received the package, I was
thrilled. Sure, most of them were ugly and not worth writing home
about, but there were a few nice ones in the batch that had glossy
wind polished desert-varnish on them. I was excited that one could
not only buy meteorites, but one could buy a big box of them in bulk.
I kept a few and resold the rest for a small profit to some of my
online astro friends. That opened the floodgates. I started buying
kilos from Derik about once every two weeks. After buying 3 or 4
kilos, I guess Derik felt sorry for me getting all that weathered
crap, so he hooked me up big time. The next kilo I ordered was almost
entirely nice specimens - fusion crust, regmaglypts, orientation, and
whole individuals. It was the kind of kilo you'd pay $250 retail for
now. I still have a fully-crusted, 110gram oriented individual from
that batch - it's become my default hand specimen for show and tell.
I more than tripled my money on that batch and I never looked back - a
dealer was born. I just wish I had kept that entire kilo, because
those same stones would be worth 2x or 3x what I sold them for then.
This was almost 4 years ago.

I still talk to Derik and consider him a friend now. And I still
purchase material from him, but not as often because I now have
several other trusted sources.

Best regards,

MikeG