[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:35:45 GMT

Got this back in 1961 when Highway '66 was still the way across the country.

http://meteorite-identification.tripod.com/MeteorCrater1961.JPG

I was 10 then.

My second one, then the fourth, fifth... and many others at about five to ten cents per/gram came from Harvey Nininger and Glen Huss. Then Allende when I bought a batch for less than a $10 per lb.

Then in 1970, my Mom, at my request bought for my Birthday from Cyril Kovacks in Australia an absolutely fresh 155 gram Murchison individual which I still have to this day. The price was $50. When I got the box and unwrapped it from the tight plastic bag it was shipped in, I could not believe the odor from that stone. Cyril stated that it was picked up moments after it fell.

( I could have gotten a 1.2lb Murchison for the staggering price of $120. But my Dad refused stating that that was too much for a 1 lb piece of stone. As far as he knew that was just a "rock." Nothing more than that in his mind. I remind him now how much I could have sold that "rock" for today. And there was another at .75 lbs that was valued at $75. Dog gone it. I could have gotten all three absolutely fresh Murchison meteorites. When my 155 gram piece arrived in Feb of 1970, it was probably the largest piece in the United States. Dr. Eugene Shoemaker, a friend of mine at U.S.G.S. could hardly believe that I had such a stone, from such a recent fall. There were other researchers there at U.S.G.S. that flooded his office just to see my fresh Murchison stone.)

So many more meteorites after...

But most of it sold or traded over the last 15 years.

But that Murchison... I will forever keep... Then grant to my daughter when I am gone.

Steve
www.petroslides.com
IMCA #4470

Message: 2