[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: debfred at att.net <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,
?I obtained my first meteorite when I was attending graduate school at the U of Fla in the spring of 1969. I also had a rock shop called the ?Quarry? where I was working one morning in May when a gentleman drove up in a station wagon. ?He said he had just come from Mexico where he had purchased some minerals from the miners. I bought some native silver, topaz, and fluorite. He then pulled out a wooden box of black rocks he said were meteorites. Although I was in Geology graduate school, I had never seen or held a meteorite. I was interested in meteorites and had read Brian Mason?s 1962 book on meteorites. The black rocks were not magnetic, not very heavy, and didn?t look like the black and white pictures of meteorites in Mason?s book. The dealer seamed honest and the black color looked like it could be melted crust, so I bought an 86-gram stone for ten cents a gram. I believe the traveling rock salesman was 63-year-old Fred Pough and yes the
 stone was indeed an Allende meteorite that ?remains in my collection today.
Best Regards, Fred Olsen