[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: Timothy Heitz <midwest_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:30:25 -0500

My first meteorite was a 200 mg piece of Zagami from Mars. I bought from
Russ Kempton the fall of 1996.

It was after the announcement in 1996 of the 4.5 billion-year-old rock,
labeled meteorite ALH84001
that was believed to have once been a part of Mars and contained fossil
evidence that there might of been primitive life on Mars.

Owning a piece of another planet Mars seemed like a cool idea at the time,
not much has change, it still seems like a pretty cool idea.
So much so, that I put a piece of Mars on display at the St. Louis
Planetarium http://www.meteorman.org/Mars.htm

Tim Heitz