[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:58:03 GMT

Very interesting thread,

I have searched Holbrook from 1967 to 2003, and a few times after when one is inclined to drive me out there.

I have collected over 900 stones, ranging from .01 grams to 237 grams. The three largest stones were perfect individuals with nice flat black fusion crust.

If I did not know better I would have thought that they fell no more than a few years before. And oddly just meters away I found others that were so weathered that they easily crumbled. But the smallest "Holbrook Peas" are often very beautiful, nice fusion crusts and great grey-whitish interior matrix.

And my long admired friend, Harvey Nininger told me back when I first started searching in 1967 that he had recovered some fragments that he suspected might be from another older fall. But I wonder about that, as the weathered ones look like older falls, but upon inspection in they are indeed Holbrook stones.

I have wondered about this disparity, that it could be from extraterrestrial salt inclusions, like the Monahans Fall a few years ago that was intrinsically of the same type as Holbrook. It would be interesting if someone with a micro-probe and access to original 1912 collected stones woudl cut one and do an analysis.

Someday... I might have access to such an instrument, or an x-ray diffraction spectroscope as I am in the process of seeking to obtain a surplus one now. Then I can do preliminary in-depth identifications of samples.

Though due to health reasons I no longer hunt meteorites, such keeps my interest in meteorites alive--

Steve Schoner
www.petroslides.com
IMCA #4470

Message: 5