[meteorite-list] New Iron (Ataxite) SHRAPNEL

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:22:00 GMT

No problem Doug, you are right. Most of the battlefields were withing 100 miles of shore. Bombers did do night runs and some got lost out over the desert.

You are right, no danger where this meteorite was recovered.

I did not read all the posts after when I made the initial post regarding this.

Just the appearance of the "fresh" crater and ataxite "shrapnel"... And knowing that WWII was fought in North Africa came to my mind.

I have seen the photos. Pretty nice meteorite find. No doubt.

Was there a meteorite, an achondrite, found in 1942 by a soldier during one of those North African Battles?

I can't remember which meteorite it was, or the battle.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470
www.petroslides.com