[meteorite-list] YD impact event denial, again and again and again and again

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul, everyone -

Two more of the first peoples' accounts of the YD impacts than are included in my book may be read at http://cosmictusk.com.

What is remarkable in all of this is the denial mechanisms, both personal and institutional. While the YD impact event is now in debate, mainly due to the massive undeniable nanodiamond evidence, work has barely begun on more recent impact mega-tsunamis, and certainly not on even more recent Tunguska class impacts.

My own personal belief is that this debate is likely to stop here only when impactites become available for purchase by list members. Given that nano-dimaond separation costs around $10,000 per sample, (or so I've been informed), the only hope for an end may be if the locations of some of the larger YD impacts can be identified and larger pieces recovered.

Personally I find it very frustrating, particularly the funding biases.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas