[meteorite-list] New Iron (Ataxite) SHRAPNEL

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:48:22 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting discussion all.

Agree, the apparent rays are probably not wind blown dust. I'll ceed that. It was just one idea I threw out to see if it stuck.

I have no vested interest in disproving rays and a structure with rays on earth would be VERY interesting. Since it is in a disputed border area, they probably are rays. Nature loves to pull things on us like that...

In my first response, I wrote:

> Are there any photos from ground at the site
> available?
> Since it is a disputed zone, I doubt any higher
> resolution aerial
> images will
> become available any time soon, but someone may want
> to custom order a
> satellite image of the area.

My concern here is the only evidence of rays we have is this one image, displayed via GE or MP (Bing maps uses much low resolution and lower angle lighting, so the site looks very different).

Ordering a high resolution satellite image specifically might help with the resolution. Terraserver has a 1-m per pixel image available already but looking at it online it looks similar to the GE image Both of these are by Digiglobe, so are probably the same image with slightly different processing. I've seen some strange processing on these images many time before where sometimes subtle features stand out and contrasty features are almost invisible.

I also asked if there are any photos from on site. Nomads have cameras in their phones now too...

I guess my problem here is the lack of ground truthing. I could extend other guesses as well, but until we have a better images, not just the one we're working with, I'm not going to say definitively that these are rays. Possible rays, even probably rays, maybe, but not that they are until there is more proof.

Sorta like Carl's analogy in another thread. I see the bullet hole, but I can't be sure of the cause of death until the autopsy is complete...

No matter what the real answer is, congrats to all who were involved in bringing this interesting new iron out of the desert!

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography