[meteorite-list] Claimed pairings

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with you as to why it happens, but at the same time, if one meteorite is to be held with such lax standards, it casts a bad impression to some when such fuss is raised about others.
I have tried to stay out of the pairing debate, but this is one time that I will chime in.

I honestly think that the same standards should apply equally to all meteorites, regardless of what kind it is.
Its very bad to say its ok to overlook this one, but not that one.
Kind of like selective enforcement of the Laws.
Enforcement of rules and laws should be across the board and equal, or not followed at all.

I wont ever buy or sell NWA 869 due to my opinions of the standards surrounding it. It is tainted with double standards - Just my opinion on it.

While I do not know what Greg is selling the NWA 5400 for, I do know is a good amount more then $1 per gram but the money should not be the deciding factor as to following the rules or not.

I hate to say it, but from all the recent debates about pairings/hammers/etc the main issue that is brought up is financial gain and monetary values. Is that all many of you think about when holding a meteorite or finding one? How much is it worth?

Its sad for me to see this, meteorites are something very special to me that here more often then not is being overshadowed by the money aspect rather then the fact that these are things that come from space, they provide us a chance to do something and take part in something that we would not be able to do otherwise. How many people have been to the moon? How many have touched something from the moon? I am willing to bet less then 5% of the world will ever get to. We get to do what others dream about. Does it always have to be about the money? Yes, I sell meteorites. Yes, I make money off meteorites. I also know what they are and feel fortunate to be able to take part in the world of meteorites and understand that value sometimes does not mean money.

Before I discovered meteorites, all I could do is look at the moon and wish. Thanks to meteorites, I can TOUCH the moon!!! Thats where the value is, or should be.

I will end this post by asking everyone who has had comments about pairing issues this... why raise such a fuss about pairing of one, when you outright ignore it on others?
People claim science all too often, but when it comes down to it, I honestly feel it is all marketing and money related intentions that will stand in the end while the true science takes a back seat to filling pockets with cash.

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites