[meteorite-list] RE: Apology for epic NWA 5400 thread

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:22:15 +0200

Hi Dave, and All,

I also hope that this unpleasant and emotional thread will find an end.
Since two IMCA members are involved, and asked for our assistance we at IMCA
are sure willing to do our best to help clearing this all up. And this
involves checking the relevant data on the allegedly paired meteorite. I
will actually meet Dr. Albert Jambon in about one week, and I'm grateful
that he is willing to help clearing this up.

So please, everybody: calm down and wait for what the scientists will
eventually have to say. Wild speculations and hearsay, accusations and
attacks won't help in any way.

All the best,
Norbert Classen
President IMCA Inc.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

All,

I'd like to offer up an apology to the list -- particularly to Greg Hupe and
those Moroccans who have been caught up in the subsequent banter -- as I
never anticipated or anything the likes of which has unfolded in the
mega-thread that has been spun since my initial inquiry. For my part, I'd
particularly like to rewind the clock regarding the mention of the pairing
rumors beyond the scope of NWA 5363. Those should have been left to unfold
independently (directly from the sources, that is), as I'm sure they will --
whatever the final outcome.

With respect to Dr. Jambon's communications, however, I must say that this
feels to me to be the central point: that the findings of an accredited
scientist with a great number of accepted classifications on the record who
has determined that a pairing exists (or likely exists) to a
scientifically-important (and therefore expensive) meteorite should be open
for a transparent public inquiry and/or discussion. This holds true, I
believe, whether the scientist's findings are ultimately determined to be
correct or incorrect.

More than anything, it has been the personal, emotionally-charged attacks
and counterattacks that have been most disappointing...

My apologies once again, and best wishes to all,

Dave

www.fallingrocks.com