[meteorite-list] One Last Correction / Opposite of Greed

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:35:31 -0400

Folks,

While Greg and I patched up our differences, there is one loose thread
which seems to require some clarity (given the confusion conveyed in
private emails I've received).

Yesterday it was mentioned as an aside that I was motivated by greed
and "disinterested in truth" as it regarded a mistaken identification
of a Martian meteorite.

Briefly, here is the story.....

--I purchased a complete shergottite about which I had received
contradictory information (a) that it was paired with 4880 (a pairing
of 2975--the huge shergottite shower) and (b) unpaired and something
new;
--I discarded the unpaired decision as wishful thinking and submitted
the specimen to Bonhams for sale as a complete Martian meteorite (an
area where crust was missing revealed a shergottite signature);
--Greg and Alan Hupe, (Alan being the owner of 4880) correctly took
umbrage to the statement this was paired with 4880---as this hadn't
been documented;
--I provided a correction to Bonhams (that it may be paired to 4880)
and Bonhams corrected the same in several venues: in their digital
catalog, in a printed errata and in an announcement during the auction;
--The specimen did not sell and it was subsequently cut;
--It turned out to be new, unpaired Martian meteorite worth far more
than I had imagined;

Now, even though this occurred during a time when scores of complete
shergottites hit the market, the lesson I learned was to be even more
careful in asserting associations and pairings.

I am, and will forever be, a devotee of the pursuit of truth and, if
anything, this story illuminates my having exhibited the opposite of
greed.

Thanks so much for your patience,

Darryl