[meteorite-list] Book advice

From: hxmendoza <hxmendoza_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thank Mike, Gary, Bob, and Greg!

Everyone else feel free to keep sending their input.

Henry

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 14, 2010, at 9:31 AM, "Galactic Stone & Ironworks" <meteoritemike at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi List,

While we are on the subject of books, I highly recommend "Cosmic
Debris" by Burke. It is currently out of print, but used copies can
be found online at the usual vendors. It is a gold mine of
information about meteorites and their history. And it is the perfect
companion work to Norton's "Rocks from Space".

If RFS is to be considered the best "beginner" level introduction to
meteorites (which it is), then Cosmic Debris represents the
"intermediate" level extension of that introduction. It covers the
evolution of meteoritics as a science, and it covers most of the
notable personalities in the field (including their alliances and
rivalries). Along the way it mentions many historical falls and
obscure meteorites. There is also a delightful chapter on the
folklore of meteorites that I have been quoting from to the List
lately. As a side benefit, the reader gets initiated to impact
structures, parent bodies, and a host of related secondary subjects
that the reader can further advance later in other works.

Best regards,

MikeG