[meteorite-list] Rock Forming Minerals

From: Ryan Weidert <ryan.weidert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:07:43 -0700

Hi Greg, List:

>> I was looking a the Bowen Series of rock forming minerals on earth and was wondering.? Is there a similar sequence (or order) of mineral formation for: a) minerals on asteroids, b) mineral on Mars, and c) minerals on the moon.? It would be interesting to compare >> and see the differences and similarities.

I've never heard of a reaction series for other solar bodies, but I
would guess that the Bowen Reaction Series would be pretty similar of
minerals formed in asteroids and other planets and moons. I think that
because the series is based on the elements within the magma and the
temperatures of formation and rates of cooling. The ten most abundant
elements in the universe are Hydrogen, Helium, Oxygen, Neon, Nitrogen,
Carbon, Silicon, Magnesium, Iron, and Sulfur. I can only assume that
they are/were dispersed fairly uniformly across the universe and the
Earth, being apart of the universe, is an amalgamation of those
elements. Granted there are disparities between the Earths composition
and meteorites, martian and lunar, however the earth is actively
producing and altering, and segregating minerals, giving it a more
'unique' composition in regards to bodies that have had little active
formation time.

In the end, I think it really boils down to the elemental composition
of the magma - only certain arrangements exist in which the available
elements can form minerals, and seeing that there are 300 minerals
common to both earth and meteorites and 40 exclusive to meteorites,
I'd say the reaction series has a good chance at being quite similar.

>> Also would Olivine or pyroxene be the most common mineral in the solar system? Or perhaps something else?

I would guess Olivine is the most common (single) mineral in the solar
system, with pyroxenes second. If you take pyroxenes as a group of
minerals, its probably first.

For meteorites, I read that "The most common minerals are pyroxenes
followed by plagioclase feldspar, and olivine". From
http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/Meteorite/Book-Minerals.html
The 'Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites' states that "The most
abundant minerals in meteorites are pyroxenes, olivine, plagioclase
feldspar, kamacite and taenite." (Appendix 1)
http://books.google.com/books?id=OMgDhc8d7v4C&lpg=PA238&ots=YsNrqg6XuU&dq=most%20abundant%20mineral%20in%20meteorites&pg=PA238#v=onepage&q&f=false

>> If I'm not mistaken, the feldspar group of minerals in the most common on earth.

Depending where on/within earth one looks, the most common mineral
changes. As a singular mineral, Quartz is the most abundant on the
surface/crust. It is true that there feldspar group as a whole is more
common, but that is because it is a group of seven different
feldspars, albeit their boundaries are arbitrary. If we are talking
about sheer percentage of the earth, the most common mineral is
Olivine. That of course is a general term for a group as well,
fayalite and forsterite, however still takes the cake. Pyroxenes take
second within the earth.

cheers y'all

ryan weidert