[meteorite-list] NWA 5400: Earth-Related Meteorite

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:40:38 -0700

I think that the speculation is getting way out of hand. It seems very
unlikely to me that the meteorite is a piece of Earth, proto-Earth or of the
Mars-size planet that is inferred to have smacked the Earth 4.5 billion
years ago to form the Moon. The meteorite has a basically chondritic bulk
composition and, prior to terrestrial weathering, had fresh metal. It is
therefore probably not from a differentiated body. The only chondrites we
know that have terrestrial-like O-isotope compositions are enstatite
chondrites and CI chondrites. CI chondrites are essentially all matrix and
are probably unrelated to NWA 5400. And, of course, enstatite chondrites
are far more reduced than NWA 5400. Nevertheless, at least one enstatite
chondrite has been oxidized after having been impact-heated and partly
melted in proximity to oxidized material. That would be Galim. I haven't
studied NWA 5400 (although I would like to), but I'm guessing that its
origin is more likely to be that of an enstatite chondrite that was altered
by aqueous fluids and impacts than as some early progenitor of Earth.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
phone: 310-825-3202
e-mail: aerubin at ucla.edu