[meteorite-list] $ gold / Oz

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:34:31 EDT

Michael...

>>And most importantly, if an oz of gold is worth X dollars, is it a
Troy Oz or a US/"Imperial" Oz?<<
When dealing with gold or other precious metals, Troy oz is the weight
measurement you are using. It's been around a long, long time and it's not
metric. I couldn't tell you what it is.

>> Even when the US FINALLY tried to convert to metric, they made
An incredibly feeble and futile attempt by allowing BOTH metric
And imperial weights on food and mi & Km on speedometers, etc. If
They had just forbidden any references to imperial measures on food
And speedometers and speed signs everyone would have adapted in
A matter of days - but with both, everyone IGNORED the metric
Measures (of course) and the US quickly gave up. Maddening!<<

I remember the attempt to go metric in this country and it was a big pain
in the butt for me to mentally convert. I'm glad it didn't catch on. I
basically know approximately what the various units are, but I just don't think
in daily life with metric units in mind.

>>So, are you saying a "Troy Oz" is THE oz they are speaking of
When they report gold is currently at X$ per oz? <<

When a price of gold is given per ounce, it is in Troy ounces.

>>And if they are,
What the hell is a "Troy oz?"<<

A Troy oz is 20 pennyweights. :O) Considering the moment, I just had to
throw that in. When measuring small amounts of gold, Pennyweight is often
used as well. Anyhow, there are 12 Troy oz's to a Troy pound. In the year 2004
I dredged a little over 1 Troy pound out of the South Fork Yuba River. That
 was a fun year...also removed a couple ounces of mercury in the process.
GeoZay