[meteorite-list] Biggest Meteorites by Type

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:47:12 -0700

Hello Mike, All,
With regards to the smallest main mass of a given type, some messing
around with the Meteoritical Bulletin database turned this up:

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php?sea=ung&sfor=types&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=mass&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal%20table&dr=&page=5

I used the search term "ung" and searched classifications, and then
sorted the results by weight. The smallest "type main mass" found on
earth would be the 0.6 gram ungrouped iron LaPaz Icefield 03916.
But the moon apparently has us beaten; according to the Bulletin, the
Bench Crater meteorite, an "Ungrouped C1," weighed less than 0.6 g,
though I haven't been able to find a weight for it anywhere online.

But...I don't think we should be looking at ungrouped meteorites as
"type main masses" on an individual basis. It's cheating! After all,
each ungrouped meteorite is the smallest of its type as well -- and
it's also the average weight for a meteorite of its type.

And for the list - I'm fairly certain that the largest Rumuruti at the
moment is a 1,206 gram fragment of NWA 978 (R3.8).

>From the desert...
Regards,
Jason