[meteorite-list] Biggest Meteorites by Type

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry Carl,

I have to disagree. Most museums are interested in physical size and display characteristics, the bigger the better. They are also interested in hard facts, not rounded off figures. I do agree that the weight is very important and is why I cannot figure out why it was simply estimated or rounded off on a stone as important as Kalahari 009.

If you are after a world record, Genius demands more than just a rough estimate. It would be up to the owner(s) to try and dethrone NWA 5000 and this would require unbiased certifications. Kalahari 009 may very well be the heaviest lunar meteorite ever found but this has not been proven. Regardless NWA 500 is still a world record holder in regards to the Largest highlands piece ever discovered and more than likely the largest by size ever found.

Best Regards,

Adam