[meteorite-list] Technical question about NomCom and Bulletin

From: David Norton <renov8hotels_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:29:13 -0700

Issues I see as relevant are the tracking of a stone at all times; it is
only "illegal" if removed from a country that prohibits export. What happens
to a strewn field that straddles the borders of 2 countries, one that allows
export, one that does not? Many countries have variances to laws. Labeling a
stone "illegal" without understanding the true status of every stone could
carry some legal liability.
A stone from a country that prohibits export is "legal" while it is in the
country. It should be recorded in MetBul. Perhaps a note in the sideline
that the country of origin prohibits export would be enough to let the buyer
beware. Perhaps publishing a summary list of countries that prohibit export
would acknowledge any potential problems with purchase out of the country.
Again, the issue of using the scientific community to acknowledge any given
stone in an effort to increase its value is commerce / marketing. I say let
politicians be politicians, cops be cops and scientists be scientists.
Have a great evening all!